Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Poule au Riz, Part II




A couple of days ago I told you about the memorable Sunday lunch we enjoyed at the home of our neighbors, Odile and Armando Perrone. As promised, I have scanned Odile's recette for cooking the elderly hen. Remember that most French family recipes are "au pif" so, follow your gut where the instructions or measures may be vague. If you do try Odile's Poule au Riz, you will have a tender chicken with delicious sauce that is great on the rice as well as the slices of hen. Let me know how yours turns out.




This recipe serves 6 to 8 people.


Ingredients:


1 Hen (not a young one)


2 carrots

1 onion, with 3 whole cloves stuck in it

1 bouquet garni (thyme and bay leaves)

250 grams rice

salt & pepper



for the sauce:

2 soupspoons of potato starch

1/2 glass cold water

1/4 glass of boullion (taken from cooked chicken's pot)

1/2 juice of a lemon

2 soupspoons of capers

salt & pepper


Put 2 liters of boiling water into a large stockpot. Add carrots, onion with cloves inserted, bouquet garni and salt. Plunge the hen into the boiling water and and cook at least two hours, maybe more, until tender.


In the mean time, rinse the rice and let it drain. When the hen is done, season with pepper, remove it and keep it warm; cook the rice.


To make the sauce, in a small bowl, put the 2 soupspoons of potato starch; add the 1/2/ glass of cold water and mix well. Remove the 1/4 glass of hot bouillon from the chicken pot and add to the sauce. Mix very well. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.




Serve a slice of chicken accompanied by the rice and the sauce.




Enjoy with a smooth French white wine.



Bon Appetit!




2 comments:

Waldo Oiseau said...

Even for how desensitized I am as an American, I still cannot bear to look at heads still attached to things I plan to ingest. :)

Holly Lombardo said...

Hi Susan..thank you for you visit to my blog. Oh how I wish I could visit Provence. I finally got to Paris (I've been waiting to go for almost 25 years, having taken French for so many years in school). I bet I could certainly be inspired here! Best wishes, and boy do your recipes look delicious!